Online, in the office or at home. Wherever you work, there’s a student who can help you grow your business.
TECHNATION’s Career Ready Program gives students meaningful work and businesses an affordable way to scale up their tech talent. With funding from the Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program (SWPP), we provide subsidies for businesses of all sizes, all across Canada, to hire students in tech roles. If you’re looking for a cost-effective way to start-up, scale-up or speed up your business’ operations, use the Career Ready Program to get up to 75% (or $7,500) of a student work placement subsidized.
Tech touches almost all industries and disciplines. The Career Ready Program has opened eligibility to students outside of STEM programs. That means students studying Arts, Business and other Interdisciplinary areas now qualify.
Quick Eligibility Assessment:
- You’re a registered Canadian business or organization.
- You’re not a federal or provincial government group
- You have the financial capacity to hire a student for a part of full-time work term, pay them consistently and provide a meaningful work experience
- You’re not hiring a student who is an immediate family member
- You’re not a bank or large financial sector employer, federal or provincial government
Are you Ready to Apply?
Frequently Asked Questions
Is my business eligible for a subsidy?
If the placement you have in mind involves the student using technology in some capacity, you likely qualify for a subsidy.
If COVID-19 has affected the way your business operates, a student placement can help. We have subsidized a number of remote work placements this year, and we expect this to be common moving forward.
To be eligible for the program, you must meet all of the requirements below. No exceptions to the eligibility requirements will be made.
- You must be a registered Canadian business or organization
- You cannot be a federal or provincial government group
- You must have the financial capacity to hire a student for a work term, pay them consistently and provide a meaningful work experience
How much of the student’s wage is covered?
From now until March 31, 2021, you can get up to 75% (maximum $7,500) of your students’ wages covered. As a COVID-19 measure, funding amounts are higher this year.
We also have a continued focus on subsidizing placements for women in STEM, new Canadians, persons with disabilities and Indigenous students – students from these under-represented groups may qualify for an additional subsidy.
Where can I find a student to hire?
The Career Ready Program does not provide students for your work term placement, but your local post-secondary institutions that have co-op programs are a great resource for finding student workers.
You can also use traditional recruitment methods to attract students, i.e. post a co-op/internship position on your favourite job board(s).
Or, use the Campus Connect portal to broadcast your job description to multiple schools in your region. Make sure to select TECHNATION to affiliate with us under Funding Programs.